At-Home Cleaning Methods for Different Types of Diamond Rings
Before bringing your new diamond ring home, you must familiarize yourself with its basic care and cleaning methods. That way, you know how to maintain its beauty and elegance and make it last for many years.
Every engagement ring is unique. Each has a special design and will require specific care and maintenance. In case you are unsure of how to care for yours, this guide can serve as your guide.
When to Clean Your Diamond Ring
Ideally, you should clean your ring once every week. You might not notice it, but daily activities, such as putting on lotion, using shampoo, or washing your hands with soap, can make your diamond and its band appear cloudy and diminish their sheen. Cleaning your ring at home at least once a week will keep it in its best shape.
Bringing it to a jeweler for professional deep cleaning at least twice a year will also help make it look brand new for a long time. If you have an active lifestyle or are into activities such as gardening, you may need to have your ring cleaned professionally more often.
At-Home Cleaning Guide: How to Clean Your Diamond Ring
There are different kinds of materials used in diamond rings, and we will go over all the methods for cleaning for all these types:
For All Metal Types
This cleaning method is for diamond rings in metal types such as platinum, silver, white gold, and gold.
- Method 1: Using Soap and Water
Using soap and water is the best way to clean your diamond ring, no matter the setting or metal type.
- In a small bowl, mix a solution of hot water and dishwashing soap.
- Soak your ring for around 20 to 40 minutes in the solution. The duration will depend on how dirty your ring is.
- If you need to remove any residue, such as makeup, perfume, or lotion, brush the ring using a soft toothbrush.
- Rinse it under warm running water.
- Repeat if necessary.
- Method 2: Using Chemical-Free and Non-Abrasive Solutions
When cleaning your ring with a jewelry cleaner or polisher, make sure to do your research. Your cleanser should be chemical-free because any chemical can cause your diamond to lose its durability and color.
For Silver and Gold Diamond Rings
- Method: Using Windex and Hydrogen Peroxide Solution
Windex is useful in removing any day-to-day buildup on your ring, while hydrogen peroxide can kill any bacteria on its surface.
- Prepare a 50-50 solution of Windex and hydrogen peroxide in a small bowl.
- Soak your diamond ring in the solution for around 10-15 minutes.
- Gently scrub your ring with a soft toothbrush to remove any residue.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Leave it to dry.
For Silver Diamond Rings
- Method 1: Using Vinegar
- Mix ½ cup of white vinegar and two tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl until the baking soda has fully dissolved.
- Soak your diamond ring in the solution for around two to three hours.
- Rinse your ring using cold water.
- Dry it with a soft cloth.
- Method 2: Using Ketchup
Ketchup is an excellent way to get the shine back in your tarnished silver ring.
- Prepare a small bowl of ketchup and dunk your band into it for a few minutes.
- Using a soft toothbrush, make sure that the ketchup reaches all the crevices.
- Rinse the ring with lukewarm water.
- Leave it to dry.
For Solid Gold Diamond Rings
- Method: Using Beer
Make sure to only use beer for the band, not on your gemstones or the diamond. You can use any type of beer except for dark ale beer. Beer can help you improve your ring's luster.
- Pour a little beer on a soft cloth.
- Rub it gently over the band.
- Use another cloth to dry it.
Diamond rings are known for their durability, but they still need proper care and maintenance. No matter what type of diamond ring you have, you need to be patient and gentle when cleaning it. If there is any residue that you need to remove from the setting, remember not to use any sharp objects or else you could loosen the diamond or scratch the metal.
For more information on how to care for your diamond rings, subscribe to our newsletter. If you are looking for new rings to add to your collection, make sure to browse through our gallery.
TVON, the top jewelry channel in the USA, is your premier destination for high-quality and genuine fine jewelry.